We’ve written about Identity and Access Management in the past. Unpacking what you need to know about these security measures and the benefits of implementing these procedures to organise users and set necessary permissions.
In this post, we’re looking at Enterprise Identity and Access Management (EIAM), which is basically identity management applied to larger organisations like enterprises, financial institutions, government agencies and universities. The focus is on “defining and managing the roles and access privileges of individual network users and the circumstances in which users are granted (or denied) those privileges”. The main idea is to have one digital identity per individual, across each user’s “access lifecycle”.
Enterprise identity and access management “helps firms decrease costs and enhance productivity across the board by streamlining their processes” for enterprise identity and access management providers, the overarching goal is to “grant access to the right enterprise assets to the right users in the right context, from a user’s system onboarding to permission authorisations to the offboarding of that user as needed in a timely fashion”.
Typical tools include, but are not limited to, password-management tools, provisioning software, security-policy enforcement applications, reporting and monitoring apps and identity repositories.
Basic enterprise identity management scenarios include:
- Password synchronisation and self-service password resets.
- Management of credentials like one-time password devices, security questions, smart phone apps, biometrics, smart cards, cryptographic certificates, etc.
- Generating/deleting identities and assigning/revoking entitlements.
- Creating, managing and deleting security groups and mail distribution lists.
- Boosting authentication and combining multiple credentials with contextual selection of suitable login mechanisms.
Surge Identity is 48Software’s cloud identity provider solution that enables secure sign in, using trusted identity and social providers and secures app-to-app communication using the latest industry security standards. And our enterprise package is perfect for large firms that require high degrees of integration and customisation. Want to find out more about how we can help you maintain data security within your enterprise? Complete the form below and we’ll be in touch.